Omis Landmarks (Fortresses and Churches)
The whole old city is a stone monument to the great past. Omis and surrounding area is filled with old fortresses, churches and stone fortifications.
The whole old city (on the left bank of river Cetina) is built of stone. We can consider it as an old monument that witnessed a great history of Omis and surrounding area. Old city is dominated by the fortress Mirabella(Peovica) above of it, and town is filled with an old churches. The whole city was surrounded with a stone fortification, but during the time, and especially in the 18th and 19th century when there was no Turkish threat, they were destroyed. Today only towers and stone gates have remained from that fortification.
Peovica or on Italian Mirabella, is oldest of the Omis fortresses. Probably is built in the beginning of the 13th century during the reign of family Kacic. The fortress is built on the cliff above the old city and it was used as the hideout for the pirates, and as the watchtower.
There is famous story about Mirabella, during the Turkish attacks on Omis in 1537. Omis was outnumbered by the Turkish army. But group of young and brave soldiers that were stationed in the fortress were shouting each other names. Turkish soldiers have thought that city was filled with soldiers and fled the battlefield. Because of river Cetina, and specific position of Peovica it was impossible to determine from where is sound was coming and it was significantly enhanced.
Fortress was built on six cascading levels, and the top of the fortress can be easily reached by foot from the old town.
Fortress Starigrad or Fortica was probably built in the late 14th century, or in the early 15th century. Starigrad means old city. It got that name because fortress was built on the remains of the antic fortress. And, new city (Omis) was beneath it. During Venetian rule gets the name Fortica (Fortizza). After the fall of Bosnia by the Turks in the 15th century fortress has gained importance. And Venetians have on several occasions expand and improve it, because of the constant Turkish threat.
Fortress can be reached by driving the car to ancient village Baucici above the town, and then by foot along the marked path. It takes approximately 20 minutes of walking.
Fortress Zadvarje (Duare on Italian) was probably built before the 16th century. Turks built fortress over the remains of the older fortress in the 16th century. Venetians conquer it three times from Turks in the 17th century, when fortress finally falls in 1684. Fortress is located in place called Zadvarje near beautiful waterfall Gubavica.
Visuc fortress was built probably before 15 century. It is located about 5 km upstream on the River Cetina, where now a famous resort Radmanove Mlinice. There is an interesting legend about Visuc. In time of great famine, a widow came to Visuc begging for food for her four children. The master of the watermill told her to the catch fish in river, and she jumped into the river, casting a curse on the fortress. She dies in the watermill, and years after taht River Cetina arises and crush the Visuc fortress. The remains of the fort remained as a warning to arrogant and satiated people.
Fortress Nutjak was built on River Cetina probably in 15th or 16th century. In Nutjak lived the duke Zarko Drazojevic, and fortress was conquered by Turks in 1536. Lots of watermills have been built near the fortress.
In the Omis and Omis district there are numerous churches. The most significant of them is the Church of St. Peter from the 10th century. The church is located on the right bank of the river
Cetina in Omis's area called Priko. Recently, in the Brzet (a part of Omis) were found the remains of the Church of St. Euphemia from the 5th century. In the old part of town is the Church of the Holy Spirit from the 15th century, which was completely renovated in the 16th century. Between the church of the Holy Spirit and the nearby Church of St. Rocco in 1682 was raised the town clock. In the 17th century was built the parish Church of St. Michael. And in the same century was built the Church of St. Jerome in Smokvica (a part of Omis). In the 18th century a Franciscan monastery was built in area of Omis which is called Skalice.